Wednesday, April 4, 2007

No Dull Moments

Too bleary-eyed to finish my book last night, I gave up at ten thirty and decided I wanted to be fresh to read the ending. Family Tree, a novel by Barbara Delinsky, kept me captivated. I finished it today in broad daylight and clear vision. That the characters in Family Tree met at times in a lovely knitting shop was pleasing, to be sure. Knitters and knitting take part in weaving the tale together. Delinsky's novel challenges family relationships, secrets, biases, and choices the characters make. Members of the Book Group will like this story, I feel sure.

Other books I've read recently: Dear John, by Nicholas Sparks; The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri; and A Perfect Union: Dolly Madison and the Creation of the American Nation, by Catherine Allgor. (Namesake is now out as a movie which I hope to see soon.)
Learning what a powerful figure Dolly Madison was made me wonder why I knew so little about her. In the more than 400 pages, some parts did lag a bit which made it easy to put down and turn to something else. Dolly was a beautiful and talented woman who contributed immeasurably to her husband, President James Madison, and to America.

Now I'll finish reading The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho, another book I could put down and pick up at opportune moments. There are no dull moments, or moments to spare, with so many wonderful books to read!

Reviews by Lois